Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Day 2: Coding like crazy

So day two started and I got up early to work on my code before the school, at the beginning of the day I had some serious issues regarding whether I wanted to keep working on this idea or if I should  expend yet another day trying to get my ideas together, mostly because even though I like the game idea and mechanics I feel they don't quite express what I was trying to express and what's more during the development tests I found it to be very similar to other similar games.

But at the end of the day.. I have to deliver! That's my commitment for this jam, no matter what, I will deliver the game in time.

So fast forward to the end of the day I really feel like I did some meaningful advances to the game logic today. Down here I post a screenshot of the current game state.


I know I know 'What the hell man? those are just boxes!". The game's got no graphics and no sound. But that's the plan! I'm a software developer, a programer, so what I'm doing here is basically make the whole game the exact way it's supposed to work(those squares are actually the hitboxes) and when it's done I'll expend the rest of the time working on the graphics and sounds, maybe some menus and random bugs.

I feel pretty happy about how the game feels now, and even tough I didn't do any kind of design(I normally do at least a few diagrams to guide me out and think before hand) I think my past experience with object oriented programming has helped me a lot to keep to code fairly organized and functional.

Oh I almost forgot, in case you're wondering I'm using HaxeFlixel, it's an amazing game engine build on top of an equally amazing programming language. I've worked on Java, C++, Game Maker and javascript. And believe me, when it comes to game development HaxeFlixel it's the best lenguaje I've found.

I'd really like to develop further on a lot of things, issues I've come across, details that worry me that I'll have to solve sooner or later.. but I'll leave it there for now.

My plans for tomorrow are to finish the game mechanics entirely so I can focus on creating some good game graphics(I suck at drawing so.. let's see how it goes).

No comments:

Post a Comment